Salmon Fried Rice — Recipe
This is my own, my favorite rice recipe. I hope you will try it and let me know how it turned out. It’s flavorful and healthy, and filling.
Take the chilled rice out 30 minutes before you start making the Salmon fried rice. Break up the rice chunks up early on and allow it to breathe.
Serves 3–4 people.
Ingredients & Prep:
Salmon — 6 to 8 oz.
Cooked, chilled rice — 3 cups. (rice kept in the fridge for 1 day is ideal)
Onion 1/2 — cut into 1/3rds, or Diced. (Red Onions are more pungent)
Green chili — 1 slivered.
Bell pepper 1/2 — Diced
Tomato — 1–2 slices, cut into strips or diced.
Mushrooms 3–4 — sliced.
Green Peas — 1/4 Cup (Optional).
*Soak the green peas for 8–12 hours with a pinch of salt if you plan to add them.
Soy sauce — to taste. (1–2 tablespoons).
Egg(s) 1–2 (your choice).
Pepper — 1/2 teaspoon.
Salt — 1 teaspoon.
Red Chili powder — 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder — 1/2 teaspoon. (optional) * can buy from Indian stores or the International Aisle at some grocery stores. Turmeric is good for your blood and gut.
Jeera (Cumin) powder — 1/2 teaspoon. (optional) * can buy from Indian stores or the International Aisle at some grocery stores.
Vegetable oil — 2 tablespoons.
Minced Ginger — 1/2 tablespoon
Minced Garlic — 1/2 tablespoon
1. Heat Oil and swirl in pan, medium heat.
2. Place salmon on the pan and move it around, sear one side, flip the salmon, and sear the other side. This will seal in the juices and keep the salmon moist.
3. Add/Sprinkle salt, pepper, cumin powder, Red chili powder, Turmeric, on top of the salmon.
4. Add diced onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, slivered green chili, tomato strips, around the salmon.
5. Sauté everything, and midway, add the minced ginger and garlic. Stir it a few times for about 15 seconds till the raw flavor leaves.
6. Leave it closed for 2–3 minutes medium heat. Then add the soy sauce over the vegetables and salmon. Stir the veggies lightly.
Then create some space in the pan, break one or two eggs and do a sunny side up. Then break the yolk, whisk it softly with a spoon, and add a pinch of salt and some pepper to the egg.
7. Flip the salmon. Close lid again. Leave the salmon in the center of the pan for another 2 minutes. Stir the vegetables around. Start flaking the salmon into smaller pieces. This helps the salmon cook faster.
8. Add the pre-cooked cold rice and and spread over the flaked salmon pieces and vegetables.
9. Close the lid and allow to steam for 1–2 minutes. This adds flavor to the rice. Add some coarse, ground black pepper over the rice if you want it a bit spicier.
10. Increase the flame a bit higher to get the rice, salmon, and veggies hot for about a minute or two. The rice covering the vegetables and salmon will pick up the juicy flavor of the salmon. Switch off the stove and let the fried rice rest for a few minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Serve with a side of grilled/baked. pan-sautéed Asparagus or Broccoli, seasoned with salt and pepper.